The CMoR Book Bank has adopted an aggressive goal of distributing 75,000 free books to children throughout Central Virginia over the next year. They need the support of the community in the form of donations to be sure that there is a strong inventory of books to meet that goal. Please join us in this effort and help support our local community!
Facts and Figures Support This Cause:
Access to books is key to reading skills. Studies confirm that the number of books in the home directly predicts reading achievement. Children who grew up with books in their homes reached a higher level of education than those who did not. (Family Scholarly Culture and Educational Success)
One study found that in middle income neighborhoods the ratio is 13 books per child; in low-income neighborhoods, the ratio is one book for every 300 children. (Neuman, Susan B. and David K. Dickinson, ed. Handbook of Early Literacy Research, Volume 2. New York, NY: 2006).
What Books are Needed?
- Books for children ages 0-12.
- Books should be new or like-new. New or like-new books are needed to give recipient children a sense of pride in ownership.
- Picture books, leveled readers and early chapter books are greatly needed.
What Books are Not Accepted?
- The Book Bank does not accept encyclopedias, school text books, books for adult readers, magazines, vhs tapes/dvds/cds or toys.
- Books may not be musty, damaged or written-in.
Additional Donation Options:
The Book Bank can also purchase books with monetary donations. $25 provides 10 quality books to children in need.
Book Drop Locations October 1st – 15th:
- All three Romp n’ Roll locations have marked bins in their lobby. The locations are in Midlothian, West End and Mechanicsville. This is the second year they have supported the CMoR Book Bank!
- SunTrust Mortgage
- All Saints Episcopal Church/Preschool
- Scott and Stringfellow, Downtown Richmond
- West End Montessori School
- Sleepy Bear Coffee Shop in Ashland
- All three CMoR locations – anytime!
- Bank of America locations at:
- West Broad – 3901 STILLMAN PKWY, Glen Allen
- Short Pump – 11681 W BROAD ST
- Malvern and Broad Street
- Robinson and Broad Street
- Villa Park – 8097 VILLA PARK DR
- Laburnum – 4801 LABURNUM AVE
- Crater Road – 1963 S CRATER RD, Petersburg
- Hopewell – 101 E CITY POINT RD, Hopewell
- Meadowdale – 4134 MEADOWDALE BLVD, Richmond
- Turner Road – 7101 HULL STREET RD, Richmond
More About the Book Bank
The Book Bank donates books to children ages 0-13 and organizations who serve at-risk children throughout Central Virginia. Title I schools, social service agencies, faith-based organizations, under-resourced preschools, and other groups who assist children-in-need qualify for book donations from the Book Bank. The Children’s Museum often donates books directly to at-risk students who visit the museum on scholarships and grants.
The Children’s Museum of Richmond Assumed oversight of the Book Bank January 1, 2012 after the dissolution of Read Aloud Virginia.
More About Romp n’ Roll
Romp n’ Roll is a premier play-based educational program for children and their parents. Through developmentally appropriate movement, art, and music classes children from 3 months to 6 years of age exercise their bodies, grow their minds, and nurture their imaginations. Research has shown that the fascinating, free-form activities that Romp n’ Roll provides in a wide variety of classes enable young children to build the strongest foundations for success in school and later in life. For more details or information click here.
If you or your company are interested in holding a book drive, or volunteering in the Book Bank, please don’t hesitate to contact us for more details at email@example.com.